Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Yoga Lessons

I would consider myself a yoga enthusiast.

I like the idea of it.  I enjoy doing it.  Even reading about it makes me happy.  And I have wanted for a long time to make it a more significant part of my everyday life.

I even looked into becoming a yoga instructor.  Except that I've never even taken a class.  Yes, that's right.  I'm more of a stay-at-home with Rodney Yee kinda gal.



So I researched local yoga studios to see what they had to offer.  I leave soon, so I was looking for a cheap drop-in rate.  That's where I discovered that Yoga for Health was having a Free Yoga Day.  What can be better than free yoga??  So for weeks, I have had this day etched in my brain.

I planned on going to two classes, the 7:30am Sunrise Flow class, and then the Beginners and Beyond class in the evening.

First of all, let's be real.  I always knew I wouldn't make it to the 7:30 class.  Come on.

But then I found I was also experiencing a lot of anxiety over going to this evening class.  I wanted to back out.  I didn't want to go.  Classes make me uncomfortable.  I wouldn't belong.  I would stand out like a sore thumb.  And the instructor would of course tell me my form was all wrong.

I just didn't want to go.  

But I went.  And I actually (of course) enjoyed myself.

It wasn't the most amazing experience of my life.  I didn't feel at ease in the classroom and found myself easily distracted by all the other people in the room.  But even in one hour of doing yoga with complete strangers, I felt a sense of community.  And it was this feeling that stayed with me, not my initial fear.

It was because I was experiencing so much anxiety about going to this class that I forced myself to go. I knew it was an irrational fear.  I was worried... what... that I would look stupid?

So think about this...

How many times in life do people miss out on great opportunities because of fear?  How often do you let your insecurities hold you back from experiencing something great?

When I'm faced with something I don't want to do, I always try to ask myself, "What's the worst that can happen?"

And if I can survive, even if that absolute worst case scenario becomes true, then I just say DO IT.

After all, as my new favorite saying goes..