Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spice Things Up

I've been in Martinique for over two weeks.  And although I've been having a great time, I haven't been motivated to write.  I don't feel like I have anything interesting to say.  And after all, didn't Thumper tell us that if you don't have something interesting to say, don't say anything at all?  (Okay, maybe that's not exactly how it goes...)

The truth is... Martinique is comfortable.  Yes, I am living on a Caribbean island.  Yes, it may seem exotic and exciting to others.  But the truth is, after you've lived somewhere for a certain amount of time, no matter where it is, it isn't new anymore.  You get settled.  You find your routines.  And yes, after a while, going to the beach does get old.

Just another day at the beach...
Anse Figuier

That's not to say that I'm not having fun.  Trust me, I am.

It just means that I need to challenge myself to step out of my comfort zone.  I need to make an effort to spice up my life because just simply living here doesn't do it anymore.

View from my front door

So, what's the plan?

  1. Change of scenery.  Easiest way to break up your routine?  Get out of it, literally.  Go somewhere different, even if it's not far away.  I'm heading up north to St. Pierre tomorrow to meet some new assistants, and I'm looking forward to getting out of the south.
  2. Try something new.  Even if you think you wouldn't be good at it, try a new hobby.  You don't have to be amazing.  In fact, you can really suck at it.  But just trying something on for size makes life less monotonous.  And you never know, you could find something that you love.  I started sketching.  And although I'm not good, I'm better than I expected.  Plus, it's just fun to try something new.
  3. Take lessons.  Signing up for a class is a great idea because you learn something new, you have the opportunity to meet other people you wouldn't normally interact with, and it gets you out of the house.  I'm starting salsa lessons on Sunday, and I can't wait.  

The point is to avoid boredom.  When you find yourself bored with your life, everything seems depressing.  And nobody wants to be depressed (especially in the Caribbean).  So by taking a few simple steps to push myself out of my daily routine, it forces me to keep things interesting.  

And then in the meantime, I just try to keep myself busy... and slightly intoxicated.