Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Reverse Culture Shock

Well, it's over.  It's been a week since I left, and reverse-culture shock is hitting me hard.

Honestly, I am happy to be home.  It's great to see my family and friends again.  I've been in heaven after finally joining the modern world and getting an iPhone.  I'm still shocked at the selection of produce at grocery stores.  And I can't help but smile each time I have an Oberon or bloody mary.

But I feel like a stranger in my own country.  I have changed so much over the past 8 months, yet everything here seems to have stayed the same.  I know it's normal to feel this way, and I know these feelings will fade.  But it doesn't make it easier to deal with right now.

I miss certain things about Martinique itself (namely the weather), but more than anything, I miss my life there.  I miss living in Anse Figuier with JY.  I miss speaking French and improving my speaking skills.  I miss feeling like every day brought new experiences that constantly changed me.  And most of all, I miss who I was in Martinique.



"You get a strange feeling when you're about to leave a place... like you'll not only miss the people you love, but you'll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you'll never be this way ever again."
                                                                             -Azar Nafisi