Thursday, March 15, 2012

Open Your Eyes

I haven't been writing as much lately.  It's not that life here isn't interesting, but everything has just become so normal.  It's hard for me to find inspiration.

How is it that living on a Caribbean island has become so normal to me?

I have just over 2 months left here, and I think I need to give myself a good kick in the ass.  I need to step out of the box.  There are still so many things I want to do before I leave, but I also need to rediscover the beauty in my surroundings that I have begun to take for granted.

Yesterday, Joelle and I were at a beach by my house when we realized that we've become jaded.  I used to be awestruck whenever I was near the ocean or at a beach, completely taken aback by the natural beauty of the island.  Now, seeing the ocean every day is normal and has lost its novelty.

I need to open my eyes.  Not just here, but everywhere.  Always.  Wherever you are, you should take the time to appreciate the beauty around you.  My goal for this weekend is to make good use of my camera and take pictures of everything around me... things I find beautiful, touching, inspiring, even strange or quirky.

Pictures I took the first week I was here:

Drive I now do every week

View from a hill in Morne Vert

Fort-de-France

And when I return home, I'm going to do the same thing in Traverse City.  I will capture the beauty in a town I have known all my life and rediscover what I love about it.  

What I'll return to (except during summer, not fall)
Silver Lake