Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Halfway Gone, Halfway There

First things first: I have to say a huge congratulations to my cousin (technically, cousin's husband) for writing a children's book!  Check it out...You can find it on Amazon.  Pretty darn cool if you ask me.
Nigel the narwhal is a fun-loving whale who spends his time frolicking in the sea with his friends, until one day a horn starts growing below his nose! His friends begin to shy away from him and Nigel has feelings of confusion. Seeking the advice of his parents, Nigel learns to embrace his uniqueness. Nigel and his friends learn that it is their differences that make each of them so special.



So... back to la Martinique...

View from Pointe Borgnesse 

I'm reaching the halfway point in my journey in Martinique.

The first half has been different than I expected, but it has been extremely fulfilling in many ways.  I have been able to experience so many things that I would have never been able to do had I not come here.  There were times during the first month that I was seriously debating on going home; now, I couldn't be happier that I stayed.

Although I feel like I've accomplished so much during my first 3 1/2 months here, there are still so many things that I have yet to do... I'm in Martinique where new experiences practically throw themselves at me.  So my new goal is to make sure I do something new and exciting at least once a week.  I have so many things to cross off my bucket list before I leave this island, so I better get crackin'.

It's also reaching the point where I need to start thinking about what to do after Martinique.  This isn't it.  My journey doesn't end after this.  I just need to decide which way I want the wind to take me... Or rather, which way I want to choose to fly.

I've known for a while that I don't want to follow the traditional life path of graduating, finding a job, getting married, buying a house, having kids, etc.  I'm not knocking the traditional path, if that's what makes you happy.  But I know those things aren't what will make me happy.  And I refuse to live a life that I don't love.

I've reached the first step: I know what I don't want to do.  Now, I need to start figuring out what I do want to do.  I need to start focusing on my passions and find a way to make those passions into a lifestyle (preferably one where I don't need to ever ask my parents for money again...)

So in my last few months in Martinique, I'm looking for inspiration, and maybe a little guidance.  In the meantime, I'm not going to take a single moment for granted.  I plan on taking full advantage of every second of time I have left on this island.