Saturday, December 3, 2011

America, I Miss You, I Miss You Not

Right now, I'm sitting outside enjoying a cup of coffee, reflecting on life.  I've been in Martinique for just over 2 months.  I think it's starting to hit me that I actually live here.  I can't believe how fortunate I am to have this opportunity to live in a foreign country for 7 months, let alone on a Caribbean island.  But as always, life here has its ups and downs.  There are certain things that I miss about home.  Of course, I miss my family and friends, but that goes without saying...


I Miss:
  • Dryers.  Dryers don't really exist in Martinique.  I actually really enjoy hanging my clothes outside to dry, but I miss being able to throw things in a dryer when I need to.  Most of all, I miss the feeling of warm towels fresh out of the dryer.  
  • 24/7 grocery stores.  Well, 24/7 anything really.  Everything in Martinique closes so early, and I do miss the convenience of stores being open at all hours in the United States. 
  • Microbrews.  Although beer isn't always my drink of choice, I miss the beers from back home.  The options are very limited in Martinique, and although Lorraine isn't horrible, I often find myself craving beers from home.  Especially from Short's. 
  • Cardigans and scarves.  Superficial, I know.  But anyone that knows me knows how obsessed I am with cardigans and scarves.  I miss layering.


I Don't Miss:
  • Snow.  I don't mind cooler weather, but winters in Michigan are just too cold and too long.  I like snow for a couple weeks around Christmas, and that's about it.
  • Cheese selection (or lack thereof).  I love French cheeses.  They are much too expensive in the States, and just not as good...
  • Living with my parents.  Sorry Mom and Dad, but I love my freedom.  
  • American drivers.  Although Martinican drivers are insane, I've grown accustomed to them.  I'm beginning to love the windy roads and the way Martinicans drive with such focused recklessness.  Americans should really take notes.

Although I miss certain conveniences from home, there are so many things that I love about Martinique.  Most of all, I love that I am able to be here on my own, living my life exactly how I want to be living it.
 
Me with my noodle at Madiana Plage