Monday, September 5, 2011

"Everything Is Under Control"

Last week I heard from my tuteur in Martinique.  Her name is Karine and she is my main contact person in Martinique.

I had actually gotten a phone call from her while I was in Chicago.  My mom and I had been shopping in Ann Taylor Loft when I received a call from some weird number.  When I listened to the voicemail (actually, voicemails--one in English, one in French) it was from Karine.  I had a hard time hearing the message, but it basically consisted of her repeatedly saying "Don't panic!  Everything is good, everything is under control."  She had been vacationing in the south of Martinique, so she said she would call back.

Last week, I was dealing with a customer when my phone rang.  Again, it was the weird number, so I let my manager take over as I scurried outside to take the call.  My first impression of Karine is that she seems amazingly sweet.  She told me she would be my "mother in Martinique" and would help me with everything once I'm there.  She kept telling me not to panic and that everything is under control.  (Hmm.  I wasn't panicking... but should I have been..?)

I found out that I am actually going to be living in le Morne Vert.  It is a bit further south than le Morne Rouge.  I am assuming that maybe le Morne Vert is a part of the school district of le Morne Rouge.... Minor details that I will just figure out when I'm there.

Karine said she will pick me up from the airport when I arrive in Fort-de-France and drive me back to le Morne Vert.  She found an apartment for me (apparently with a view of the sea), but if I don't like it, she'll help me search around for something else.  She also told me that the Spanish assistant that was supposed to be placed in the same district is no longer doing the program, which is disappointing but explains why she had never responded to the email I sent in July.

Things are coming together, and I'm starting to get excited.  It still doesn't feel real, but it will soon.  Tomorrow is my last day of work for the summer, and I'll be able to spend my last few weeks at home getting packed and spending time with family and friends.

3 weeks from TODAY