Monday, June 20, 2011

Writing About Writing

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I was going to try to post in my blog once a week until I move to Martinique (and things get a bit more exciting).  But I didn't post last week because I had a lot going on, and quite honestly, I've been feeling very discouraged lately.

I've always thought of myself as a strong writer.  The more I write, the more I realize that I want writing to be a big part of my life (even if it's just blogging for fun).  I really enjoy writing.  Even though I dreaded writing term papers in college, part of me would get such a thrill from producing a piece of work that I was proud of.

Last week, I decided to look into freelance writing.  I need to try to get some extra cash, so why not try to earn money doing something that I love?  But when I started researching opportunities, I got overwhelmed.  Technically, I have no professional experience under my belt.  I wrote plenty of papers during college, but that was all academic work.  Just because I like writing and editing and I think I'm good at it doesn't mean that I have any proof.  How can I convince someone that they should hire me?  How do I make myself more marketable when I don't have any solid experience?

I've always thought that job searching was extremely discouraging, and I hate how it makes me feel about myself.  I don't necessarily doubt my abilities.  But I doubt my qualifications.  How can I shake this feeling?  How do I get my foot in the door?

Anyway, enough grumbling!

Still no news on my work contract from Martinique.  I'm trying to be very patient, expecting that it probably won't come until late July or August.  I don't exactly mind waiting that long, but I am a bit concerned about getting it early enough to have plenty of time to get my visa (which I have to go to Chicago for).

I've decided that once I find out what city I will be teaching in, I will start to research options for housing, but I don't think I want to commit to anything.  The idea of going to Martinique with no place to live is a little terrifying, but I don't want to sign a lease with a place until I've seen it and figured out how far away from my school it is.

Even though so much about my contract is up in the air, the unknown is a little thrilling.  I secretly love the idea of just arriving there without an apartment.  I love that I have to figure everything out on my own.  I want to be thrown in a situation where not everything is handed to me on a silver platter.

I am so excited to welcome a little more adventure in my life.