Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Love Affair With Books

I keep complaining about how I have nothing to do to prepare for Martinique.  That's not entirely true: I have to save money.  Lots of it.  Even though I have been living at home for the past year and a half, I honestly don't have much money saved up.

I've been getting better at telling myself not to buy more clothes I don't need and not to go out to eat as much.  But there is one thing that I can't get myself to stop buying.

Books.

Yes, I realize I could rent them from the library.  I do that, too.  But the library doesn't have all of the books I want to read.  And there are some books that I just want to own.  I try to buy them cheap and used, but so far, I haven't been able to stop buying them altogether.


My recent purchases:



French Women Don't Get Fat, Mireille Guiliano
This is the only recent purchase that I've actually read so far.  This book compares French and American cultures surrounding food.  The author has some great advice and insight on why French women (and men) don't get fat.  There are some amazing recipes included, too.  Honestly, I can't get enough of this book.




The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin
I just received this in the mail today and was SO excited.  It's one woman's story of her "Happiness Project," where she spent one year dedicating her time and energy finding things that made her truly happy.  I have heard so many wonderful things about this book, and I can't wait to start it.




The Art of Non-Conformity, Chris Guillebeau
I was also very excited to receive this book today!  I've just discovered Chris Guillebeau's blog The Art of Non-Conformity and decided to buy his book right away.  Just reading the title of this book makes me feel inspired!




                                  

The Perfectionist: Life and Death in Haute Cuisine, Rudolph Chelminski
I was recommended this book by one of my French professors, and I can't wait to read it.  It's the story of  a Michelin three-star rated French chef who committed suicide from the pressures brought on by his career.



ALL of these books were less than $10 each.  Most of them I bought from abebooks.com which is my favorite site to buy used books online.  They are SUPER cheap even after shipping costs, and the selection is pretty impressive.


Have you read any of these books?  Do you have any suggestions of similar books that I should check out?  Please share!