Tuesday, April 5, 2011

And so it begins...

Today.  TODAY!

Let me back up...

Since I graduated almost (gasp) 2 years ago, I've bounced around the idea of becoming an English Teaching Assistant in France.  I was completely undecided for many reasons, but last fall, I decided to apply.  By the end of November, my application was submitted, and I was committed... (sort of).  On the website, the estimated timeline said that applicants could expect to hear about acceptance "early April."  Knowing the French, I figured this could mean sometime around April 20.  So you can imagine my surprise when I received an email today.

I scanned over the subject of the email, and it didn't quite register.  Then I saw the word "Martinique."  Wait a second...

After rereading the subject line, it was like time slowed down.  I screeched.  My mom came out thinking I had found a spider.  I couldn't even read the email because I was so... what?  Emotional, exhilarated and stunned.  And so incredibly happy.

When I first applied to be an assistant, I wasn't sure about it.  There were so many things that held me back and made me hesitant.  But if I didn't apply, I knew I wouldn't ever go.  And how often do people really get opportunities like this?

So this is what I know:

I'm accepted to be an English Teaching Assistant for the 2011-2012 school year in Martinique.

I don't know what grade I'll teach.  I don't know what city I'll be in.  I don't know when I start or how long my contract will be.  I don't know how much I'll be paid or where I'll live or how much things will cost.  I don't know, and I am so HAPPY.

Three years ago, I studied abroad in France.  Looking back, I wish I had written more and taken more pictures because those memories fade quickly.  I'm starting early this time.

This is what life is all about.